Monday, January 3, 2011

Job Posting: Manager of Magical Creatures

When I decided to stay home with my kids it was a mutual decision. Actually, DH asked me to stay home when Nick was born. He asked me to give it 6 months. I never thought I'd make it. I loved working. I found my personality was a perfect fit for sales and my last job was a real joy. My boss actually offered me a promotion to sales manager when I was 9 months pregnant. He was hoping I would come back.

I didn't, and 6 months has turned into 10 years. It went by in the blink of an eye. I would be lying if I said every single moment was met with joy and wonderment. Some moments were REALLY boring. Lots of moments tested every ounce of my patience. Housework is so unfulfilling. Each task is something that will have to be redone in a very short time, with young kids in the house it's a very, VERY short time.

But the times that are fulfilling- when they start to walk, or chase the dog around the island with their push toy laughing like a lunatic. When they call your name or in Nick's case say "tree"- his first word other than mama and dada. When they ask you a million times in one day to "uppie me"- Melanie- when they fall asleep in your lap, or when they are sick and only you can wipe their sore, snotty noses. Those times make it so worthwhile. More worthwhile than ANYthing I could have been doing the last ten years.

I think we have been happy. I know my role is under appreciated. The kids don't know what it's like to have to go to daycare everyday and when we pass by the Kindercare building they think it looks like a lot of fun.

My DH caught me mopping the floor recently and said to me, "I didn't know you did that." I responded in my normally snarky way with, "Who did you think did it, the f%&king fairies?" I'm still not sure who he thought had been doing it for the last 10 years, but maybe if I'd made it clear it was me he would have appreciated my role more.

I know many women in my position who have felt the same way. It's difficult for men to appreciate what we do around the house. They think the kids raise themselves and that magical creatures pick their underwear off the floor and make sure it somehow ends up clean and back in their drawers. But I know what I've done for all three of them, the last ten years, has made a difference in who they will become as adults. Especially, DH.

We are at a crossroads... I have an interview, on Thursday, for a job I know I would be good at. I know bringing in an income will help me to feel more valuable. My kids won't be kids forever, and I have to keep my skills up so I can do something when they no longer need me. I remember the feeling of having other people validate your work. It feels great. Not to mention, actually receiving a paycheck for your trouble.

But I don't just want to get a job. This feels like an opportunity. An opportunity to reinvent myself. I know I can do anything I want to, and I'm not in the position where I have to take a job if it doesn't feel like the right fit. I want to do something I'm good at, something that matters to me. I want to wake up feeling excited to go to work, so it's not so hard to leave the kids.

I am a different person than I was 10 years ago. My priorities are different. I'm not sure I'm as motivated by money as I was in my 20's. Now, I'm more motivated by a sense of accomplishment. I think I'm more focused, probably more reliable, and definitely more confident. Heck, who wouldn't want to hire me? I can motivate fairies to mop floors and I'm an expert at managing magical creatures. I think I'll go add those things to my resume.

1 comment:

SueK said...

Good job Sus! I hope it goes the way you want it too on Thursday! I am at a place where I would like to stay home & mop the floor- I guess I have traveled a different road than you and most of the LOL's; that I am am tons older than you!

You will do well at whatever you love!