Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Just another day in the life...

We've always thought we have the best driveway ever for sledding. It heads downhill from the street and goes into the grass for about 3feet before hitting a line of trees. The kids have sled down this hill hundreds of times. This last Sunday, the kids bundled up and headed out. I stood at the kitchen window watching them for a couple of minutes, making myself a cup of hot tea. When my tea was done, I headed up to the loft to do some writing. I barely made it up the stairs before my son hit the backdoor screaming. My 7 year old daughter hit the 6inch retaining wall to the left of the driveway.

I ran down the stairs to find my bleeding daughter on all fours in the garage. She didn't want to come in the house because she was bleeding so bad. I grabbed a sweatshirt off the floor and put it on her head and got her into the bathroom. My husband and I took one look at the giant gash on her forehead and knew she needed stitches. I honestly haven't ever seen anything so bad.

A strange calm took over me. I knew we needed to move to the next step. I called my BFF's husband who is our doctor. He told me to bring her over. I knew as long as I got her over to his house, we'd be okay. He would take care of the rest. I loaded us up in the car. Husband in the backseat applying pressure. My son, completely freaked out, he knew she was going to hit the wall and he yelled her name. She looked up just in time to catch the edge right between the eyes. He thought it was somehow his fault.

When we got to my friends house the Doctor took over. He drove us to his office. I was probably the most scared in the car. My daughter started vomiting and saying she couldn't breath. She was also having a hard time keeping her eyes open, as if she'd just fall asleep. I was sure she had a concussion and we'd be heading for the emergency room. My Doctor stayed calm and talked to my baby calmly telling her how to breath until she got control again. At the office he checked her out thoroughly and told me it probably wasn't a concussion it was just the adrenalin.

He then put somewhere around 25 stitches in her head, but not before he showed me her skull and the artery she had just missed severing. Looking at my child's skull through a gaping wound in her head is not something I ever want to do again, but even through that part I remained calm. I knew we had done our best to take care of her. Somehow a mother's strength takes over in times like these. She needed us to take care of her and we did whatever it took to make sure she'd be okay. There simply wasn't any time or need to lose it, even though I may have wanted to.

This leads me to the second part of this post. I got the call for a second interview on the job I talked about last week. I have done a lot of soul searching this week, and talked to a lot of my friends about the situation. I've talked to both working mothers and stay home moms. I know I'd be great at this job. It's selling advertising which is something I've done successfully in the past. I think the company is a sound one, and their publication is something I can see value in.

The question I have to ask myself is whether I really want a job. My kids are still so young and after this weekend, I know very clearly they still need me. One of my friends, who I was soliciting advice from said, she wants to be around her kids as long as they want her to be around. This really stuck with me. It won't last forever and that's something I have to face as a mother. Someday, they won't want me to be in their daily lives. If we are doing our jobs properly, not only will they become successful and productive, but they'll want to be independent of us. But what does that mean for me?

I'm going to the second interview. I want to know more about the position and the company. I know they are hoping to hire someone full time for base plus a commission. I asked on the phone if they were willing to consider a commission only position with more flexibility on the hours. I'm not sure where they stand on that possibility, but I'm willing to take it as far as I can.

I am one of the lucky one's and I'm very aware of that. I don't have to get a job. DH goes to work everyday, traveling away from his family way more than he wants to, just so I can stay home with the kids. I know we could always use more money. Retirement would come a lot quicker for DH if I contributed financially, and I know I want to do that for him, but after this weekend I know, I won't take a full time position yet. I want to be around my kids as long as they want me.

I am so lucky to have had the last ten years with them. They are turning into incredible people, who I truly enjoy being around. I know if I continue my search and keep my mind open and think creatively, I will find the perfect part time position. That way I can contribute more to the husband who deserves a break, without taking anything away from my kids who actually still want me around.

1 comment:

cksarts said...

A prayer for your little girl...and for wisdom in your job decisions.